All About Self Hypnosis

Self hypnosis or auto hypnosis is a powerful tool for self improvement. You might not be able to be around a professional therapist whenever you need some assistance. In that case you can easily assist yourself and be your own therapist by performing self hypnosis. But many people don’t know much about this self improvement tool. So I have decided to write a post about it. In this post you will find almost everything you need to know about self-hypnosis, auto-hypnosis or auto suggestion. The aim of this post is not to convince you but to inform you.

What is Self Hypnosis?
Most people take hypnotism as a mysterious (if not dangerous) act which is performed mostly by entertainers on stage. Actually hypnotism is an altered state of consciousness tweaked by a feeling of peaceful relaxation and "letting go". And hypnosis which is self-inducted is called self-hypnosis. Further reading: Wikipedia

Benefits of Self Hypnosis
Self hypnosis can be a great tool for relieving stress. It helps an individual to feel physically and mentally relaxed if properly performed. Self hypnosis promotes your self-control, confidence, focus, and self-efficiency. It can also help when dealing with quitting smoking or losing weight. In a hypnotic stage your mind and body is suggestible and you can rip benefit out of it by suggesting yourself about what to do or what not to do. Self hypnosis is much safer (beneficial) then being hypnotized/suggested by a therapist, as you are in control of what you suggest yourself.

Drawbacks of Self Hypnosis
Self hypnosis requires much time and practice. Many people can not manage the time to master this art. Moreover, there are many people who start to perform this art without eliminating the doubt of its effectiveness. For these reasons many people complain about self-hypnosis not working for them. Many people are afraid of the dangers of self hypnosis. The worst thing that can happen to you during a session is that you can fall asleep. Further reading: Ezine Articles

How to perform Self Hypnosis
Performing it effectively takes much time. If you think that you are ready to start practicing this art you have to make sure certain things.

*Make sure that you will not be disturbed during your hypnotic session.
*Make sure that you are comfortable
*Make sure that you have your aim/goals for the session ready and memorized.

You can listen to calm and soothing music during the session. Further reading about how to perform self hypnosis: Urban Monk

Discussion question:
1. Have you ever tried self hypnosis?
2. How was the experience?
3. Do you think that being hypnotized by a therapist is better than self-hypnotism?

Note: If you decide to go to a therapist, make sure he is well trained and experienced.
If you liked this post, you might subscribe to this blog’s feed and stay connected. Do you want to share this post on DIGG or want to Stumble it?

11 comments:

  1. Sadly, I haven't tried self hypnosis yet. It sounds complicated, but hopefully someday I'd get to try it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @PM, it takes a lot of practice to master, that's the main obstacle.

    I am really happy to have you as a regular reader in my blog. it's really sad for me that i can not return the favor by doing the same for you... :(

    thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried to hypnotise myself but i got so relaxed i fell asleep. i have to try it again

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Annette, takes practice. but i guess it is not as hard as it seems... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a close very neurotic friend who did hypnosis with a therapist for years. Finally had to abandon it. Only made his fears and rages worse.

    As for me, I'm in a constant state of self-hypnosis, because very little bothers me. I've learned how to distract my thiughts and let things go. Much of it has to do with my choice of lifestyle, since I have very few wants and responsibilities. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. @NP, letting things go is a good way to relieve stress. but many people are unable to do it. i'm glad that you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The article seems to be very much informative and useful to read. Good explanation about self hypnosis. Hypnosis is the effective way which helps to increase Confidence and self control. When I am suffered by stress and anxiety I found a good solution through hypnosis from Thoughts Become Reality - Hypnosis which helped me to improve my self confidence and self control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great,, hypnosis can be the great choice to getting relax.. I think there is more benefit of hypnosis..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think most people would do the same when they are headed with the situation.
    Hypnosis blogging

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hypnosis I think its one of the best methods to relax yourself, for my the first method is doing sports, specially soccer and tennis, when those two are unaveilable, music will replace them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a great method to treat people with traumas. My psychiatrist practiced hypnosis on me during a period of six months and after that I got total recovery =?

    ReplyDelete